Thursday, December 29, 2005
"Family"- email from Jenell 12/24/2005
Merry Christmas!
In moving here, I have been completely removed from almost everything I knew, all the distractions of our over stimulated lives in the US. I have been given a chance to examine life on a very simple and basic level.
The underlying theme, the conclusion, the thesis, thus far: above all, it is family that matters. The people of mpaha have very little, but what they do have is family. They work together and the purpose of that work is to feed the family. I didn't see it at first because it was so different from the scheduled family time and family bonding that is becoming a more common form of strong family in the developed world. Family here is the foundation on which you live. no one has the ability to make it on their own. Everyone does their part and those who can't are just accepted b/c they're family.
Family here isn't defined solely by blood, but more by space. One family’s courtyard is another's courtyard, your child is your neighbors child. When a women goes to farm, if her child is too large to wrap onto her back she doesn't think twice about her other kids because there is always someone around to help them if they need it.
The other day we were putting in a platform at the water source, so people wouldn't walk in the water to fetch and thus cut down on spread of guinea worm. When it was time to move the huge heavy platform, everyone around dropped what they were doing to help us. No one is every too busy for family, and everyone is family. All of us moving the platform into the dam reminded me of putting the dock in at the Habedank lake cabin, but no water balloon launcher :D
I often feel the need to argue when people assume that I am rich because I am an American, but in truth I am rich. I am rich in education, opportunity, and in family. I am so incredibly thankful to have such a wonder family. Thank you for all your love and support.
jenell
In moving here, I have been completely removed from almost everything I knew, all the distractions of our over stimulated lives in the US. I have been given a chance to examine life on a very simple and basic level.
The underlying theme, the conclusion, the thesis, thus far: above all, it is family that matters. The people of mpaha have very little, but what they do have is family. They work together and the purpose of that work is to feed the family. I didn't see it at first because it was so different from the scheduled family time and family bonding that is becoming a more common form of strong family in the developed world. Family here is the foundation on which you live. no one has the ability to make it on their own. Everyone does their part and those who can't are just accepted b/c they're family.
Family here isn't defined solely by blood, but more by space. One family’s courtyard is another's courtyard, your child is your neighbors child. When a women goes to farm, if her child is too large to wrap onto her back she doesn't think twice about her other kids because there is always someone around to help them if they need it.
The other day we were putting in a platform at the water source, so people wouldn't walk in the water to fetch and thus cut down on spread of guinea worm. When it was time to move the huge heavy platform, everyone around dropped what they were doing to help us. No one is every too busy for family, and everyone is family. All of us moving the platform into the dam reminded me of putting the dock in at the Habedank lake cabin, but no water balloon launcher :D
I often feel the need to argue when people assume that I am rich because I am an American, but in truth I am rich. I am rich in education, opportunity, and in family. I am so incredibly thankful to have such a wonder family. Thank you for all your love and support.
jenell
