Wednesday, October 12, 2005

 

3rd email from Jenell Oct 12, '05

October 12, 2005

Hello,
Sorry I left you hanging on the last email...
Tomorrow I find out my placement!!! I will let you know as soon as I can.
I am very excited to have focus and start my second language.

Last Sunday I went to the St. Francis Catholic Church in Krobo with my Host Mama. Even though my now recovering case of Giardia prevented me from staying the whole 3 hours, the first hour and a half was awesome! First, came the choir... all wearing bright, bold colorful hand tailored dresses and robes (about 40 people), they sang some rockin' heart felt songs in Twi with a bongo accompaniment. As they sang all the people would stand and wave their hankerchiefs back and forth in perfect unison(a very cool visual).

For offering, there was no passing of the dish, but a pew-by-pew konga line to the front of the church. I just followed along and started shakin' it like the 70+ y.o. women in front of me... as soon as I started dancing, the whole congregation started cheering and clapping. It is amazing how easily I forget that as a six foot white girl, all eyes in a crowd are usually on me. The konga line was of course accompanied by a 20 piece band, with energy and excitement much like my high school pep band. I'd have to say my favorite part was that regardless of age, everyone could not help but feel the music and dance.

Another interesting thing:
The Ghana National soccer team qualified for the world cup. During the game, everytime the team scored there was cheering in the streets and taxis honking. Everyone is so proud to be Ghanaian! as soon as the game was over, the power went out. The gov't actually did this on purpose to prevent riots. When the power goes out, everyone goes to bed. It was the best nights sleep I've had yet. :D

Hope all is well
jenell

Comments:



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?